Over the next few weeks, St. Jude of the Lake students will be focusing on a new learner profile attribute. Again, learner profile attributes are the qualities that we hope all St. Jude of the Lake students develop here at school, as well as at home. By developing these qualities, students can improve themselves in many areas and can better serve and care for others. Throughout the school year the following attributes are zeroed in on: Knowledgeable, Balanced, Caring, Reflective, Inquirer, Thinker, Risk-Taker, Principled, and Open-Minded Communicator.
People who are open-minded understand and appreciate their own cultures and personal histories while being open to the perspectives, values and traditions of other individuals and communities.
They are accustomed to seeking and evaluating a range of points of view, and are willing to grow from the experience.
Over the next couple weeks, when you observe an open-minded person in action, please take a moment to point it out and talk about it with your child. As always, we’ll be doing the same at school!
PYP Unit Update
In all classrooms, students have recently started their fourth(of six) PYP unit of inquiry.
The units are:
- Kindergarten: Animals are dependent on properties of a habitat.
- Grade 1: Sustainability is determined by human choice.
- Grade 2: Matter exists in measurable and interchangeable forms.
- Grade 3: Components of the solar system affect Earth.
- Grade4/5: Creative innovations reflect and adapt to serve cultural demands, needs and beliefs